Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Impala... top 10 car models used in famous films
Cape Town - Whether it's 'Eleanor', the 1967 Ford Mustang driven by Nicholas Cage in 'Gone in 60 Seconds', or the Chevrolet Caprice in 'Dukes of Hazard', cars play a huge role in films, and often they're the star of the show.
The cool folks at GoCompare.com have analysed six decades worth of movie data in order to uncover the most famous models to have appeared on the big screen.
According to GoCompare.com: "The criteria were simple: the car needed to have featured prominently in the film or have been used by a main cast member on screen; from there we found the most frequently occurring makes and models."
Ford's iconic Mustang has made 809 film appearances while Toyota's venerable Land Cruiser made 307. See which car models enjoy the most appearances on the big screen in the list below.
Top 10 cars in film: Model and number of appearances
1. Ford Mustang, 809 (Death Race, Gone in 60 Seconds, Bullitt)
2. Ford Crown Victoria, 755 (Taken 3, Seven Pounds, Superbad)
3. Chevrolet Impala, 510 (Jeepers Creepers, Raising Arizona, Saturday Night Fever)
4. Chevrolet Caprice, 486 (Se7en, Point Break)
5. Ford Econoline, 442 (Enemy of the State, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, Dumb and Dumber)
6. Mercedes-Benz S-Class, 401 (The Fate of the Furious, 21 Jump Street, The Bourne Identity)
7. Chevrolet Camaro, 319 (Transformers, Spring Breakers, 2 Fast 2 Furious)
8. Volkswagen Golf, 312 (The Guilt Trip, Notes on a Scandal, Home For The Holidays)
9. Toyota Land Cruiser, 307 (Safe House, The Mist, Unfaithful)
10. Lincoln Town Car Stretched Limousine, 300 (The Hangover Part III, Desperado, The Bodyguard)